Launch Engineer, Fleet Operations
Company: Space Exploration Technologies
Posted on: June 8, 2021
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity
is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one
where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the
technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of
enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH ENGINEER, FLEET OPERATIONS
This role will play an integral part of launch operations by
ensuring the maintenance, compliance, and movements of the ground
support equipment (GSE) used to support the growing fleet of rocket
stages and payload fairings at the SpaceX Vandenberg AFB launch
- Responsible for the execution of lifting and moving rocket
stages throughout the Vandenberg launch site.
- Lead teams of engineers and technicians when performing
critical operations on flight and non-flight hardware.
- Create and execute maintenance and inspection plans for launch,
landing, payload processing, and flight proven hardware.
- Manage critical GSE used for processing rocket stages and
payloads across dozens of locations in three states. GSE primarily
includes mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
- Perform activation, testing and upgrades to GSE as necessitated
by engineering or operational changes.
- Coordinate maintenance and repairs of GSE in a time-critical
environment. Coordinate with design engineering and end users is
- Ensure tools and facilities are ready and capable of supporting
launch, landing, and refurbishment teams' timelines.
- Develop work instructions to support ongoing operations,
upgrades, maintenance and repairs.
- Work with technician teams to ensure the correct and timely
execution of GSE repairs and maintenance.
- Effectively communicate timelines, costs and risk associated
with GSE maintenance and repairs.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, physics, aerospace
engineering, or other engineering discipline.
- 1+ years of professional or academic experience working with
mechanical or structural hardware.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of professional experience in an integration or
operations engineering role.
- Experience with manufacturing and inspection techniques: welded
structures, machining, weld inspection, proof testing, precision
dimensional inspection, tool calibration.
- Experience with crane operations (mobile and fixed) and rigging
- Experience with pressurized operations.
- Experience authoring technical documentation: inspection plans,
operational procedures and test plans.
- Mechanical design and analysis skills (CAD, FEM).
- Organizational skills and ability to effectively prioritize in
an environment with limited resources and competing needs.
- Ability to pivot from one task to the next based on launch
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. unassisted.
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting,
pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying moderately
heavy materials or equipment are generally required to perform the
functions of this position.
- Willingness to work outdoors.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Work schedule may vary depending on site operational needs, and
flexibility is required.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export
regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms
Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent
resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.
1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from
the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX
is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications
and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion,
gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability
status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
mental or physical disability or any other legally protected
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action
Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants
requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview
process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310)
Keywords: Space Exploration Technologies, Lompoc , Launch Engineer, Fleet Operations, Other , Lompoc, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!